The Falkirk Wheel - or as it was previously known, the Millennium Link project - was an innovative design that would join together the two canals at Falkirk following the dismantling of 11 locks that stepped down over a distance of 1.5km back in 1933. It is the world’s first and only rotating boat lift and has become a ‘must visit’ icon in Scotland.
International Timber supplied the cladding for the centre. Because of its exposed location they suggested using Western Red Cedar due to its Class 2 durability and resistance to decay and insect attack. It is also low maintenance with a life span of up to 60 years when untreated and weathers down to a silver grey over time, making it the perfect timber to enhance the grey steel of the Wheel.